The first burial in Tindastoll was in 1890. The original burial sites were located east of the cemetery. This area was flood prone & the grave sites were moved to the top of the hill which is now the Tindastoll Cemetery, the year was 1899. The Tindastoll cemetery wasn't officially established until 1903.
The Stephan G. Stephansson Icelandic Society gained legal ownership in 2008 after the local community board requested their assistance in caring for the cemetery.
Over the years, the one-acre cemetery had become harder to maintain due to uneven ground, grave edging deterioration, grave markers sinking and old spruce trees deemed dangerous. The 1950’s overhead decorative cemetery gate needed to be replaced to allow larger equipment access.
In 2017 and through granting opportunities & donations, the Stephan G. Stephansson Icelandic Society and its new cemetery committee undertook the huge restoration project of leveling the ground, restoring graves and grave markers, removing and replacing trees, erecting a new decorative gate and added a new rail fence around the perimeter.